Monday, February 8, 2010

Relationship series entry (3) "Being Real and Living the Truth"

Original Post (Jan 13th 2010) entry number 3 (Relationship Series)

Being Real:
This morning I spent some time in meditation. Now during what I call meditation, my time is sometimes spent sitting quietly (on my little pillow and rug with my 10 or so affirmations taped to the floor) without moving, sometimes reading is my choice, sometimes listening to teaching audio while stretching my leg muscles out on the floor. Sometimes candles and incense quietly burn, sometimes I pray, chant or just concentrate on my breathing with eyes closed or open. Some sessions are 5 minutes long, others are 1-2 hours. Some sessions are emotionally deep, while others seem routine and mundane. My objective in mentioning these things is to be real, and if it be so, help someone to glean a measure of progress in their own life. The phrase, "God Knows" how hard-fought a measure of peace and tranquility has been to implement into my life at age 51 is suitable for the discussion.

My equally important objective is to offer this particular blog as an addition to my series of blogs on relationships and romantic relationships. Of course, the question could be asked, how does talking about your daily routine fall into the category of romance and relationships? My answer: "If one does not have a relationship with oneself, how can that person have a quality relationship with another person?" Spouse, friend, acquaintance or otherwise?

Furthermore, it remains my belief that we have enough strife, jealousy, hate, dissension, misunderstandings, and turmoil in the world already. The history books and many of our own personal histories are filled with the aftermath of these detriments on a scale of both large and small measure. So, if through the process of my own (or someone’s) willingness to be "real" for the purpose of helping shift the current social and global paradigm to a more peaceful equilibrium, then it is a realness I gladly choose to embrace.

Living the Truth:
Now to live the truth in my world, we have to go down a little rabbit hole and identify this word known as TRUTH; more specifically, what TRUTH means for us as individuals. Is truth found in what we believe or what we have been told? Categorically, we could easily make a spread sheet of answers. In some of the categories, we may share the same answers or perhaps we may disagree. Personally, I embrace these differences as I do think it would be a dull world if we were all the same. From a three dimensional "linear" perspective, the very words that I am writing here have been influenced by many building blocks, i.e., physiology, heredity, social conditioning, personal decisions, life-experiences and many others. Now because I was told something or learned something that I currently identify as truth, does that mean that I should believe it? Perhaps!

For me the word "perhaps" represents the level of comfort a person has as an individual. In one of Don Miguel Ruiz's books he talks about the greatest sin being that of a sin against ourselves. Several years ago, I started a research paper with the title, "Riding the Wave of Association.” When completed, the contents of the paper will interact with the pros and cons of a person, or group, deriving part of their identity from a connection with something outside of themselves; hence, riding the wave of association. Now we can easily see that having such a connection to a given group, say a religion or a certain set of beliefs, is a crucial part of the very fabric of society! Indeed a crucial and important role from a macro (large scale) view. Expanding the question; however, from simply asking what truth is, to asking: "Do we know what OUR respective TRUTH is?, may have significant implications on any of our relationships! My challenge therefore is not to change anyone's respective truth, but simply to say that by being comfortable in that respective truth, as it exists for us as individuals is where self respect, honor, and the seeds of personal growth reside.

In the movie "Resurrecting the Champ" one of the characters tells some (so called) white lies to make themselves look better in the eyes of another. In relationships, if we are being true to ourselves (OUR TRUTH as it exists for US), then we are putting ourselves in a position to achieve true harmony with ourselves, and in our relationships.

Blessings, Tom

Related Blogs:

http://universalallegory.blogspot.com/ Ancient Teaching: Understanding Twin Souls / Twin Flames
http://heartsseeker22.blogspot.com/ The blog I started to begin my search for understanding intimate relationships
http://inspirationsofhumanity.blogspot.com/ A blog profiling and honoring Human Inspration
http://heartmatesforever.blogspot.com/ Poetry of Alchemy
http://empathyandpain.blogspot.com A blog I started in honor of my mother

No comments: